- ► 2012 (70)
- ▼ December (6)
- ► 2010 (108)
- ► 2009 (161)
Saturday, December 10, 2011
7:43 AM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
What follows is a selection of posts from this blog regarding skiing in Stresa and beyond. Rather than search the blog, I hope this archive makes it easier to start planning your skiing here. And while this covers the skiing part, don't forget to search the winter tag for other ideas to round out your trip.
This post from December 2009 is about the opening of Mt. Mottarone for the winter 2009/2010 season. It offers a lot of information about the mountain, and relevant links to important websites. It also tells of several features at Mottarone that were new at the time, such as the chairlift and motorized sleds; even more activities have been added now, such as Alpyland.
In this post from February 2009 I wrote about a few of the ski resorts that are within driving distance from Stresa. We featured three resorts in Italy: San Domenico, Domobianca, and Macugnaga, and two more resorts that area bit further afield, about a two-hour drive away in Switzerland: Leukerbad and Fleish-Eggishorn.
An even older post, from January 2009, gives another overview of Mt. Mottarone in winter, with some more statistics. And it reminds us about two very special facts about this mountain: That it is accessible in 18 easy minutes from the cableway in Stresa, and that it offers a unique and incomparable 360 degree view from the summit, of seven lakes and beyond, all the way to Milan.
In January 2011, Emma sent us lots of good information about the excellent children's ski program at Mt. Mottarone, called Stella Alpina. That information is here, along with some other helpful hints from Emma regarding equipment rentals and where to stop for quick snacks and meals.
And although linked from the individual posts, here once more is Mt. Mottarone's main website. Always check there for the most current prices, hours, and information:
Please remember, when using these posts, that they are from past seasons. Therefore, current prices and some other information may have changed. But the basic information about the resorts should remain the same and I hope relevant and helpful for your winter planning.
Events are provided by STRESA 2.0
- Where can I buy foreign newspapers in Stresa?
- Where can I eat breakfast in Stresa?
- Where are the public restrooms in Stresa?
- Is there a laundromat in Stresa?
- Can I rent a wheelchair in Stresa?
- Should I buy train tickets in advance?
- Are there any day tours to Switzerland from Stresa?
- How can I arrange a civil wedding in Stresa?
- How bad are the summer bugs in Stresa?
- Do I Need A Car In Stresa?
- Is there an Internet cafe in Stresa?
- Is there a supermarket in Stresa?
- Is it too isolated staying at an Isola dei Pescatori hotel?
- Will we need a car if we are staying at Isolino Camping Village?
- Are there any ethnic restaurants in Stresa?
- Can I buy tickets in advance for ferry or the cablecar?
- I was wondering if you might know or recall the name of this restaurant in Baveno?
IMPORTANT POSTS AND LINKS
- If You Have Only One Day in Stresa
- Top Ten Things to See in Stresa
- Alibus Shuttle From Malpensa to Stresa
- Driving Directions From Malpensa - With Photos
- Train Service from Malpensa to Stresa and Milano
- Linate Airport to Stresa Directions
- Milan Tram System Map and Transport
- Bus Schedule
- Stresa Boat Imbarcadero
- Stresa to Mottarone Cableway
- Bus, Train, and Taxi From Malpensa Airport
- Boat Schedule - English
- PosteItaliane - Postal service
- Trenitalia Site and Schedule -- English
- Weather Forecast
- Winter Trip to Stresa? Start Planning Here
- art and culture (34)
- August (23)
- autumn (16)
- books (8)
- churches (8)
- day trips (30)
- events (54)
- favorite quotations (5)
- food (70)
- for kids (7)
- Friends of Stresa Sights (11)
- FYI (20)
- gardens (18)
- Guest writer Tony (5)
- history (31)
- interviews (7)
- just for fun (31)
- learning italian (9)
- letters from readers (13)
- letters from the editor (27)
- memories (10)
- milan (10)
- museums (8)
- music (10)
- my house (2)
- nature (4)
- news and information (54)
- outdoor activities (31)
- photo gallery (38)
- Piemonte (9)
- places to go (53)
- places to stay (9)
- rainy day activities (9)
- restaurants (38)
- risotto (6)
- shopping (23)
- spring (17)
- stresa (88)
- summer (61)
- tours (17)
- transportation (23)
- trivia (3)
- videos (8)
- walks (16)
- What people say... (3)
- wine (27)
- winter (41)