- ► 2012 (70)
- ▼ May (6)
- ► 2010 (108)
- ► 2009 (161)
Sunday, May 29, 2011
7:22 AM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
With the season in full swing now, and many readers asking about taking trains from Stresa, it's a good time to review some of the basics.
A reader asks:
Q: Is it necessary to buy tickets ahead of time on the internet or can I buy them at the train station on the day of travel? Also I notice several categories on the internet. What category should I purchase either on line or at the station?
A: It is not necessary to buy train tickets online, in fact, we recommend not doing that. You can easily buy them at the Stresa train station the day you travel, or, stop by the station some other day in advance and buy a ticket. A train ticket becomes validated on the day you use it by stamping it in the yellow box (in photo at right) along the wall near the tracks at the station. You can review more train information in this post:
As for categories, ask at the Stresa ticket window for an IC or an EC train. Those are the 'Express' trains. What you DO NOT WANT is an R train. That is the Regional train, which will slowly make every local stop and take twice as long. Another advantage of purchasing your tickets directly at the window is that you will be able to ask the attendant to be certain you have the correct ticket for you.
Here's more information about taking the train from Stresa to Milan: http://stresasights.blogspot.com/2008/12/going-to-milano-from-stresa.html
And here's some handy information about luggage storage at the Stresa train station:
Events are provided by STRESA 2.0
- Where can I buy foreign newspapers in Stresa?
- Where can I eat breakfast in Stresa?
- Where are the public restrooms in Stresa?
- Is there a laundromat in Stresa?
- Can I rent a wheelchair in Stresa?
- Should I buy train tickets in advance?
- Are there any day tours to Switzerland from Stresa?
- How can I arrange a civil wedding in Stresa?
- How bad are the summer bugs in Stresa?
- Do I Need A Car In Stresa?
- Is there an Internet cafe in Stresa?
- Is there a supermarket in Stresa?
- Is it too isolated staying at an Isola dei Pescatori hotel?
- Will we need a car if we are staying at Isolino Camping Village?
- Are there any ethnic restaurants in Stresa?
- Can I buy tickets in advance for ferry or the cablecar?
- I was wondering if you might know or recall the name of this restaurant in Baveno?
IMPORTANT POSTS AND LINKS
- If You Have Only One Day in Stresa
- Top Ten Things to See in Stresa
- Alibus Shuttle From Malpensa to Stresa
- Driving Directions From Malpensa - With Photos
- Train Service from Malpensa to Stresa and Milano
- Linate Airport to Stresa Directions
- Milan Tram System Map and Transport
- Bus Schedule
- Stresa Boat Imbarcadero
- Stresa to Mottarone Cableway
- Bus, Train, and Taxi From Malpensa Airport
- Boat Schedule - English
- PosteItaliane - Postal service
- Trenitalia Site and Schedule -- English
- Weather Forecast
- Winter Trip to Stresa? Start Planning Here
- art and culture (34)
- August (23)
- autumn (16)
- books (8)
- churches (8)
- day trips (30)
- events (54)
- favorite quotations (5)
- food (70)
- for kids (7)
- Friends of Stresa Sights (11)
- FYI (20)
- gardens (18)
- Guest writer Tony (5)
- history (31)
- interviews (7)
- just for fun (31)
- learning italian (9)
- letters from readers (13)
- letters from the editor (27)
- memories (10)
- milan (10)
- museums (8)
- music (10)
- my house (2)
- nature (4)
- news and information (54)
- outdoor activities (31)
- photo gallery (38)
- Piemonte (9)
- places to go (53)
- places to stay (9)
- rainy day activities (9)
- restaurants (38)
- risotto (6)
- shopping (23)
- spring (17)
- stresa (88)
- summer (61)
- tours (17)
- transportation (23)
- trivia (3)
- videos (8)
- walks (16)
- What people say... (3)
- wine (27)
- winter (41)