Sunday, November 23, 2014
6:26 PM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
Representatives from Stresa accept the 2014 Four Golden Flowers Plaque at the Comune Fioriti 2014 awards ceremony in Bologna.
After the recent news of Stresa being chosen as one of 20 real-life fairy tale locations in Italy, comes news of another award for Stresa. Once again, Stresa has triumphed in the national contest sponsored by Asproflor (the Association of Flower Growers). This year saw the participation of 140 municipalities, representing all 20 Italian regions. The awards ceremony was held in Bologna at the EIMA fair.
How did Stresa do? Great! Following a tradition of many years of winning different awards in this competition, this year Stresa came away with a Silver Plaque overall. In addition, Stresa took the first prize for communities with more than 5,000 inhabitants.
And most impressively, Stresa this year won the coveted quattro fiori d'oro, Four Golden Flowers Plaque, which each year is awarded to only one municipality in all of Italy.
Representatives of Stresa who accepted the award proudly said in acceptance, "These awards given to the city are a result not only of the Administration, but of all citizens and operators, who invest energy and resources to beautify our territory." And the awards are an incentive, they said, to do more, "for those who live in Stresa and its visitors."
Cascading yellow flowers on a private residence.
( Continued ... )
The grand hotels all do their part to keep Stresa a floral winner.
Roses, both wild and cultivated, everywhere.
Walls lined with daisies.
Trellises covered with wisteria each spring.
And mountains of hydrangea each summer.
To me, it all makes sense. Would you expect anything less from a town that is like a real-life fairy tale than to also be a town overflowing with flowers?
Labels: news and information
- Where can I buy foreign newspapers in Stresa?
- Where can I eat breakfast in Stresa?
- Where are the public restrooms in Stresa?
- Is there a laundromat in Stresa?
- Can I rent a wheelchair in Stresa?
- Should I buy train tickets in advance?
- Are there any day tours to Switzerland from Stresa?
- How can I arrange a civil wedding in Stresa?
- How bad are the summer bugs in Stresa?
- Do I Need A Car In Stresa?
- Is there an Internet cafe in Stresa?
- Is there a supermarket in Stresa?
- Is it too isolated staying at an Isola dei Pescatori hotel?
- Will we need a car if we are staying at Isolino Camping Village?
- Are there any ethnic restaurants in Stresa?
IMPORTANT POSTS AND LINKS
- Important Train Information
- Alibus Shuttle From Malpensa to Stresa
- Driving Directions From Malpensa - With Photos
- If You Have Only One Day in Stresa
- Top Ten Things to See in Stresa
- Parking a Car in Stresa
- Train Service from Malpensa to Stresa and Milano
- Linate Airport to Stresa Directions
- Milan Tram System Map and Transport
- Bus Schedule
- Stresa Boat Imbarcadero
- Stresa to Mottarone Cableway
- Boat Schedule - English
- PosteItaliane - Postal service
- Trenitalia Site and Schedule -- English
- Winter Trip to Stresa? Start Planning Here
If you don't already receive Italian Notebook, sign up immediately to receive this wonderful daily dose of Italy.
- art and culture
- day trips
- for kids
- Guest writer Tony
- just for fun
- learning italian
- letters from readers
- letters from the editor
- news and information
- outdoor activities
- photo gallery
- places to go
- places to go and day trips
- places to stay
- rainy day activities
- things to do