Sunday, May 25, 2014
7:12 AM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
WALK IDEA: This idea came from a young couple staying at La Lombarda. They told me they had walked the 3 kilometers from Stresa to Baveno, along the Lungolago, then along the main road that connects the two towns. There is either a sidewalk or small shoulder to walk on for all but a short strip of the way. They found Lido Beach Club by taking a right at the fork on the main road in front of the Dino Hotel. They ate lunch at Lido Beach Club in its beautiful tent-covered restaurant, and then, eventually, they took the ferry boat back to Stresa.
I thought, what a great idea for a nice relaxing walk and day! Soon after that conversation with my young guests I found myself at Lido, noticing all that's new this year there, and reading through their new brochure:
An oasis for the senses, a place of pleasure of meeting where attention to detail is of essence and nothing is left to chance. Elegant and refined, the Lido is surrounded by a beach complete with deck chairs and parasols, a splendid lawn, a bar open from the morning and a restaurant decorated with simplicity and elegance. The kitchen, researched and Mediterranean cuisine, where the ingredients are of fresh produce market, where the tasty dishes will indulge the client in the discovery of new flavors.
I have left in the cute translation errors, but I know you get the idea. Lido is a full-service beach club, where you can come for the day and feel as if you're in an island resort. Or come for lunch... or come for drinks and aperitivo...
( Continued ... )
An extensive drink menu has both classics and new cocktail inventions, and wine of course
The restaurant is tented and charming
The entrance from the street and parking area instantly puts you in the right mood
Gathering around aperitivo, around 6:30 in the evening
Here's a partial list of amenities from the brochure: private wharf, covered beach bar, full-equipped beach, dressing room, shower, deck chairs and umbrellas to rent, cabanas, water sports, beach volley, sports tournaments, music & leisure... and more...
Over the years that I have been coming to Lido, about 10 now, it has constantly improved itself. The owners seem to keep an eye on what's current, and add them when possible. The daily aperitivo buffet, which begins around 6:00 pm and is included in your drink price, has improved considerably in its variety and quality. The beach area has added new, large private cabanas and lounge "beds." I noticed a large family group in their own private cabana tent, complete with tables and chairs, with a bucket of champagne, celebrating something, while the children played nearby on the sand. Other couples had rented smaller chaise lounge chairs and had brought drinks and food over from the beach bar. Near the inside buffet a group danced to the music and relaxed on the couches. Seemed just about perfect to me... Something for everyone at Lido Beach Club...
Most of the walk is along roads such as this. A short stretch of the walk is directly on the main street with very little shoulder, so do be careful.
- Where can I buy foreign newspapers in Stresa?
- Where can I eat breakfast in Stresa?
- Where are the public restrooms in Stresa?
- Is there a laundromat in Stresa?
- Can I rent a wheelchair in Stresa?
- Should I buy train tickets in advance?
- Are there any day tours to Switzerland from Stresa?
- How can I arrange a civil wedding in Stresa?
- How bad are the summer bugs in Stresa?
- Do I Need A Car In Stresa?
- Is there an Internet cafe in Stresa?
- Is there a supermarket in Stresa?
- Is it too isolated staying at an Isola dei Pescatori hotel?
- Will we need a car if we are staying at Isolino Camping Village?
- Are there any ethnic restaurants in Stresa?
IMPORTANT POSTS AND LINKS
- Important Train Information
- Alibus Shuttle From Malpensa to Stresa
- Driving Directions From Malpensa - With Photos
- If You Have Only One Day in Stresa
- Top Ten Things to See in Stresa
- Parking a Car in Stresa
- Train Service from Malpensa to Stresa and Milano
- Linate Airport to Stresa Directions
- Milan Tram System Map and Transport
- Bus Schedule
- Stresa Boat Imbarcadero
- Stresa to Mottarone Cableway
- Boat Schedule - English
- PosteItaliane - Postal service
- Trenitalia Site and Schedule -- English
- Winter Trip to Stresa? Start Planning Here
If you don't already receive Italian Notebook, sign up immediately to receive this wonderful daily dose of Italy.
- art and culture
- day trips
- for kids
- Guest writer Tony
- just for fun
- learning italian
- letters from readers
- letters from the editor
- news and information
- outdoor activities
- photo gallery
- places to go
- places to go and day trips
- places to stay
- rainy day activities
- things to do