- ▼ 2013 (25)
- ► 2012 (70)
- ► 2011 (69)
- ► 2010 (108)
- ► 2009 (161)
Wednesday, January 16, 2013
6:57 AM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
Patience... This is a lesson about the fruits of being patient. Look at this vine... I guess I never noticed this in the summer. Probably too many other flowers and plants all around Stresa then. Or more likely, when it is in full bloom, I didn't notice that it is composed of one, long, twisted, vine. Okay, maybe you think it's not as beautiful in the winter, but it allows us to look at its structure, and see how it became this way.
( continued.... )
Look how it starts on the right, travels over the doorway, then twists around the two poles, onto the balcony, then crosses a space, and wraps onto another balcony. It looked newly pruned, extra branches cut away, encouraging it to continue to grow and be shaped in this direction.
I imagine it gives someone a lot of pleasure. If they had not allowed that first branch to spread out... if they had cut it off when it first dared to do something different ... if they had resigned it to being normal, then never would it have had the chance to do this.
This house and vine can be found on via Roma, just one building up (toward the mountain) past the laundromat. We'll revisit it in the summer.
Hey! Speaking about true vines, have you read True Vines yet?
Events are provided by STRESA 2.0
- Where can I buy foreign newspapers in Stresa?
- Where can I eat breakfast in Stresa?
- Where are the public restrooms in Stresa?
- Is there a laundromat in Stresa?
- Can I rent a wheelchair in Stresa?
- Should I buy train tickets in advance?
- Are there any day tours to Switzerland from Stresa?
- How can I arrange a civil wedding in Stresa?
- How bad are the summer bugs in Stresa?
- Do I Need A Car In Stresa?
- Is there an Internet cafe in Stresa?
- Is there a supermarket in Stresa?
- Is it too isolated staying at an Isola dei Pescatori hotel?
- Will we need a car if we are staying at Isolino Camping Village?
- Are there any ethnic restaurants in Stresa?
- Can I buy tickets in advance for ferry or the cablecar?
- I was wondering if you might know or recall the name of this restaurant in Baveno?
IMPORTANT POSTS AND LINKS
- If You Have Only One Day in Stresa
- Top Ten Things to See in Stresa
- Alibus Shuttle From Malpensa to Stresa
- Driving Directions From Malpensa - With Photos
- Train Service from Malpensa to Stresa and Milano
- Linate Airport to Stresa Directions
- Milan Tram System Map and Transport
- Bus Schedule
- Stresa Boat Imbarcadero
- Stresa to Mottarone Cableway
- Bus, Train, and Taxi From Malpensa Airport
- Boat Schedule - English
- PosteItaliane - Postal service
- Trenitalia Site and Schedule -- English
- Weather Forecast
- Winter Trip to Stresa? Start Planning Here
- art and culture (34)
- August (23)
- autumn (16)
- books (8)
- churches (8)
- day trips (30)
- events (54)
- favorite quotations (5)
- food (69)
- for kids (7)
- Friends of Stresa Sights (11)
- FYI (20)
- gardens (18)
- Guest writer Tony (5)
- history (31)
- interviews (7)
- just for fun (31)
- learning italian (8)
- letters from readers (13)
- letters from the editor (27)
- memories (10)
- milan (10)
- museums (8)
- music (10)
- my house (2)
- nature (4)
- news and information (54)
- outdoor activities (31)
- photo gallery (38)
- Piemonte (9)
- places to go (53)
- places to stay (9)
- rainy day activities (9)
- restaurants (37)
- risotto (6)
- shopping (23)
- spring (17)
- stresa (88)
- summer (61)
- tours (17)
- transportation (23)
- trivia (3)
- videos (8)
- walks (16)
- What people say... (3)
- wine (27)
- winter (41)