Wednesday, December 12, 2012
11:26 AM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
Some of the shops in Stresa are closed in these winter days. Several of those have security gates pulled down over the windows. While walking through town this morning I happened to glance at this gate, at what I thought were notices or ads. Instead, I was rewarded for looking with a series of Pensieri Positivi, Positive Thoughts. Someone had taken the time to write and then carefully tape to the gate a selection of sayings. Here are a few translations:
The top saying, Ogni essere e' unico e irripetibile, means: Each being is unique and unrepeatable. It is attributed to Antonio Rosmini. Below it, attributed to Buddha, is: Noi siamo cio che abbiamo pensato, This seems to be part of a slightly longer quote: We are shaped by our thoughts, we become what we think.
( continued.... )
La felicita dipende da noi. Happiness depends on us. Attributed to Aristotle.
This is an old proverb, in old Piemontese dialect. It speaks of December 2, the saint day of San Bibbiano. It states that, if the 2nd of December is a nice day, weather-speaking, for Santa Bibbiana, then the next 40 days plus one week more will also be nice. This year, that seems to be true, at least so far.
And this one isn't attributed to anyone, but I recognize it from Desiderata, by Max Ehrmann. Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
I have asked a couple of people about the notices, and both had seen them. Bene... it makes me glad to know that these pensieri positivi have been observed. Who knows how many have thought on them as they continue with their day... Grazie Stresa's secret philosopher...
Labels: just for fun
- Where can I buy foreign newspapers in Stresa?
- Where can I eat breakfast in Stresa?
- Where are the public restrooms in Stresa?
- Is there a laundromat in Stresa?
- Can I rent a wheelchair in Stresa?
- Should I buy train tickets in advance?
- Are there any day tours to Switzerland from Stresa?
- How can I arrange a civil wedding in Stresa?
- How bad are the summer bugs in Stresa?
- Do I Need A Car In Stresa?
- Is there an Internet cafe in Stresa?
- Is there a supermarket in Stresa?
- Is it too isolated staying at an Isola dei Pescatori hotel?
- Will we need a car if we are staying at Isolino Camping Village?
- Are there any ethnic restaurants in Stresa?
IMPORTANT POSTS AND LINKS
- Important Train Information
- Alibus Shuttle From Malpensa to Stresa
- Driving Directions From Malpensa - With Photos
- If You Have Only One Day in Stresa
- Top Ten Things to See in Stresa
- Parking a Car in Stresa
- Train Service from Malpensa to Stresa and Milano
- Linate Airport to Stresa Directions
- Milan Tram System Map and Transport
- Bus Schedule
- Stresa Boat Imbarcadero
- Stresa to Mottarone Cableway
- Boat Schedule - English
- PosteItaliane - Postal service
- Trenitalia Site and Schedule -- English
- Winter Trip to Stresa? Start Planning Here
If you don't already receive Italian Notebook, sign up immediately to receive this wonderful daily dose of Italy.
- art and culture
- day trips
- for kids
- Guest writer Tony
- just for fun
- learning italian
- letters from readers
- letters from the editor
- news and information
- outdoor activities
- photo gallery
- places to go
- places to go and day trips
- places to stay
- rainy day activities
- things to do