- ▼ November (4)
- ► 2011 (69)
- ► 2010 (108)
- ► 2009 (161)
Sunday, November 25, 2012
7:59 AM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
Just enough news to enjoy with your cappuccino...
A New Ticket Office In The Works For Carciano
It seems that approval has been given for the construction of a new ticket office at the Carciano imbarcadero. If you have taken a ferry from the Carciano station, you know that it does not have a true ticket office, or a place to wait for the boats, but instead a small, one-person hut that is open only certain hours. The new ticket office rendering shows a traditional style building, which, according to Mayor Canio di Milia, is necessary to improve the look of this Carciano dock, which is of prime importance to Stresa and the many international tourists who visit there, either to take a boat or to ride the gondola up to the gardens or Mottarone.
Next year, the Borromeo Islands will extend their touristic season. They have set a closing date which matches that of Villa Taranto, Sunday, November 3, 2013. In the past, the palace and Isola Madre have closed in late October, such as this year's October 23 closing. The opening date next year will be March 16, 2013. Changing habits of tourists has been cited as the reason for the lengthening of the season. Travelers seem to be making trips much more frequently outside of traditional 'seasons', and these longer hours will allow individuals, as well as groups, to continue to visit these locations. This change will cause many others in Stresa, as hotels, shops, restaurants, ferries, water taxis, and more all adapt to the new schedule, which, while experimental for now, is hoped to become permanent and hopes to add the Parco di Villa Pallavicino to the ranks as well.
Don't worry, not real crime! Just a newly published collection of stories, in a book titled Delitti d'acqua dolce, Crimes on the Sweet Water. The 'crimes,' twenty of them in all, are the winning stories of a contest earlier in 2012, called Giallo Stresa, which asked for literary submissions of fiction in the crime genre, and all having to take place in the Lago Maggiore area. The anthology is promoted by Ambretta Sampietro, and the proceeds are designated toward Villa Taranto, to aid the renovation of the garden, which was greatly destroyed by a tornado last August. The contest, and new anthologies, are expected to become an annual event. For now the book is published only in Italian, and is available in shops all around Stresa.
Events are provided by STRESA 2.0
- Where can I buy foreign newspapers in Stresa?
- Where can I eat breakfast in Stresa?
- Where are the public restrooms in Stresa?
- Is there a laundromat in Stresa?
- Can I rent a wheelchair in Stresa?
- Should I buy train tickets in advance?
- Are there any day tours to Switzerland from Stresa?
- How can I arrange a civil wedding in Stresa?
- How bad are the summer bugs in Stresa?
- Do I Need A Car In Stresa?
- Is there an Internet cafe in Stresa?
- Is there a supermarket in Stresa?
- Is it too isolated staying at an Isola dei Pescatori hotel?
- Will we need a car if we are staying at Isolino Camping Village?
- Are there any ethnic restaurants in Stresa?
- Can I buy tickets in advance for ferry or the cablecar?
- I was wondering if you might know or recall the name of this restaurant in Baveno?
IMPORTANT POSTS AND LINKS
- If You Have Only One Day in Stresa
- Top Ten Things to See in Stresa
- Alibus Shuttle From Malpensa to Stresa
- Driving Directions From Malpensa - With Photos
- Train Service from Malpensa to Stresa and Milano
- Linate Airport to Stresa Directions
- Milan Tram System Map and Transport
- Bus Schedule
- Stresa Boat Imbarcadero
- Stresa to Mottarone Cableway
- Bus, Train, and Taxi From Malpensa Airport
- Boat Schedule - English
- PosteItaliane - Postal service
- Trenitalia Site and Schedule -- English
- Weather Forecast
- Winter Trip to Stresa? Start Planning Here
- art and culture (34)
- August (23)
- autumn (16)
- books (8)
- churches (8)
- day trips (30)
- events (54)
- favorite quotations (5)
- food (70)
- for kids (7)
- Friends of Stresa Sights (11)
- FYI (20)
- gardens (18)
- Guest writer Tony (5)
- history (31)
- interviews (7)
- just for fun (31)
- learning italian (9)
- letters from readers (13)
- letters from the editor (27)
- memories (10)
- milan (10)
- museums (8)
- music (10)
- my house (2)
- nature (4)
- news and information (54)
- outdoor activities (31)
- photo gallery (38)
- Piemonte (10)
- places to go (53)
- places to stay (9)
- rainy day activities (9)
- restaurants (38)
- risotto (6)
- shopping (23)
- spring (17)
- stresa (89)
- summer (61)
- tours (17)
- transportation (23)
- trivia (3)
- videos (8)
- walks (16)
- What people say... (4)
- wine (27)
- winter (41)