Sunday, November 18, 2012
9:00 AM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
I should be packing. I really really must. I leave for Italy in just a few days and there is the Thanksgiving holiday before that, which will be wonderful and consuming. So, I really have to pack! But I'm not. Because in all my free time I've been reading a wonderful novel, True Vines, written by my friend Diana Strinati Baur. This is the first time that I personally know the author of a book. Diana, I hope you will take this as a compliment when I say that I very quickly forgot I was reading your book, the book of a friend, as I quickly became so completely engrossed in the story and the characters. I've read it in Starbucks... I've read it while waiting for friends at restaurants... and at home, when I should be packing! ( continued... )
So, although the book does not have anything to do with Stresa, I am recommending it here, as it does take place, at least half of it, in the hills of Piemonte. The other half takes place in Pennsylvania, so yes, another reason that I can relate to it. You will also relate strongly with it if you have, as I do, one foot in Italy and the other in America (or other 'English' countries too I imagine). The cultural differences between these places are vast, and Diana nails them so well, explaining from her own experience much that I don't quite fully get yet. It is not one of those 'everything in Italy is great and relaxed and they love life and drink a lot of wine' stories. And that's what I like about it. And her characters are real, and flawed, and make mistakes, and most have had some really tough stuff to handle. Who can't relate to that as well? And there is a complex and wonderful story tying this all together.
I understand the book is available in many formats now; through Amazon, for iPad, Kindle, Nook, etc. So, while I am trying to prepare for Thanksgiving and then Italy, I am leaving you with this recommendation. Read it, and then let me know what you think.
Here's the link to True Vines on Amazon.
- Where can I buy foreign newspapers in Stresa?
- Where can I eat breakfast in Stresa?
- Where are the public restrooms in Stresa?
- Is there a laundromat in Stresa?
- Can I rent a wheelchair in Stresa?
- Should I buy train tickets in advance?
- Are there any day tours to Switzerland from Stresa?
- How can I arrange a civil wedding in Stresa?
- How bad are the summer bugs in Stresa?
- Do I Need A Car In Stresa?
- Is there an Internet cafe in Stresa?
- Is there a supermarket in Stresa?
- Is it too isolated staying at an Isola dei Pescatori hotel?
- Will we need a car if we are staying at Isolino Camping Village?
- Are there any ethnic restaurants in Stresa?
IMPORTANT POSTS AND LINKS
- Important Train Information
- Alibus Shuttle From Malpensa to Stresa
- Driving Directions From Malpensa - With Photos
- If You Have Only One Day in Stresa
- Top Ten Things to See in Stresa
- Parking a Car in Stresa
- Train Service from Malpensa to Stresa and Milano
- Linate Airport to Stresa Directions
- Milan Tram System Map and Transport
- Bus Schedule
- Stresa Boat Imbarcadero
- Stresa to Mottarone Cableway
- Boat Schedule - English
- PosteItaliane - Postal service
- Trenitalia Site and Schedule -- English
- Winter Trip to Stresa? Start Planning Here
If you don't already receive Italian Notebook, sign up immediately to receive this wonderful daily dose of Italy.
- art and culture
- day trips
- for kids
- Guest writer Tony
- just for fun
- learning italian
- letters from readers
- letters from the editor
- news and information
- outdoor activities
- photo gallery
- places to go
- places to go and day trips
- places to stay
- rainy day activities
- things to do