Tuesday, August 21, 2012
9:44 PM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
As they say, "Life's short... Eat dessert first."
Remember a little while ago when I wrote about the breakfast buffets at many of the large hotels along the lake? And how they are open to all, not only to guests? Well, here's another way you could have pretended to be a guest at the Grand Hotel des Iles Borromee. Each year, on the mid-summer Ferragosto holiday, the hotel prepares a buffet dinner of extraordinary proportions. These photos were published on Facebook by the hotel, of the food and the decorations, taken before the guests arrived at 8 pm on August 15, 2012. By nightfall, the garden was full, and many of these platters empty.
( Continued )Like a cruise ship midnight buffet, the buffet here is part food fantasy and part decoration delight. Mixed among the tables are sculptures of butter, ice, and all types of food.
Canapes, butter sculptures, overlooking the lake.
Beautifully carved watermelon.
Awww... Possibly my favorite.
Then there was the food. Rows and rows of it.
Okay, possibly this is my favorite. Tower of prawns?
But what would I go for first? Probably these cannoli.
A dinner like this, at a hotel like this, isn't inexpensive of course. The price was 77 euro per person, excluding beverages. But this is a once-a-year event, and maybe a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to sample so many delicacies created by the chefs of a five-star hotel. So where will you be next August 15?
Photographs courtesy of Grand Hotel des Iles Borromees. See all of them here.
- Where can I buy foreign newspapers in Stresa?
- Where can I eat breakfast in Stresa?
- Where are the public restrooms in Stresa?
- Is there a laundromat in Stresa?
- Can I rent a wheelchair in Stresa?
- Should I buy train tickets in advance?
- Are there any day tours to Switzerland from Stresa?
- How can I arrange a civil wedding in Stresa?
- How bad are the summer bugs in Stresa?
- Do I Need A Car In Stresa?
- Is there an Internet cafe in Stresa?
- Is there a supermarket in Stresa?
- Is it too isolated staying at an Isola dei Pescatori hotel?
- Will we need a car if we are staying at Isolino Camping Village?
- Are there any ethnic restaurants in Stresa?
IMPORTANT POSTS AND LINKS
- Important Train Information
- Alibus Shuttle From Malpensa to Stresa
- Driving Directions From Malpensa - With Photos
- If You Have Only One Day in Stresa
- Top Ten Things to See in Stresa
- Parking a Car in Stresa
- Train Service from Malpensa to Stresa and Milano
- Linate Airport to Stresa Directions
- Milan Tram System Map and Transport
- Bus Schedule
- Stresa Boat Imbarcadero
- Stresa to Mottarone Cableway
- Boat Schedule - English
- PosteItaliane - Postal service
- Trenitalia Site and Schedule -- English
- Winter Trip to Stresa? Start Planning Here
If you don't already receive Italian Notebook, sign up immediately to receive this wonderful daily dose of Italy.
- art and culture
- day trips
- for kids
- Guest writer Tony
- just for fun
- learning italian
- letters from readers
- letters from the editor
- news and information
- outdoor activities
- photo gallery
- places to go
- places to go and day trips
- places to stay
- rainy day activities
- things to do