- ► 2012 (70)
- ▼ August (6)
- ► 2010 (108)
- ► 2009 (161)
Wednesday, August 31, 2011
7:26 AM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
Are you going to the Stresa market in Piazza Capucci this Friday? If so, and if you enter or exit from Via Bolongaro, then watch out for the tall guy! He's there every Friday, just next to the ATM, standing still, silent, and statue-like as people walk past him, many totally unaware of his presence. Then, he chooses a victim... someone in conversation perhaps, or someone standing with their back to him... and suddenly he will spring to life with a pat on their back or a tap on their shoulder. He causes many a good scare and lots of loud screams and laughter. And so I warn you about him. Watch for him and let him choose another victim... you just go and enjoy the market!
But if he's made you smile, drop some monete, some coins, into his can; he'll appreciate it!
Wednesday, August 24, 2011
7:52 AM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
While we're talking about music, it's time for another reminder about the Stresa Festival and a list of the remaining concerts. This third part of the annual festival is dedicated to celebrating the 50th anniversary of the event. It's been 50 years since the first festival was organized in Stresa by Italo Trentinaglia, you can read about that in this post, and if you are in Stresa you can stop by the Palazzo dei Congressi now through September 4 to see the special exhibition celebrating the fifty years of the Settmane Musicali di Stresa.
This autumn part of the Festival, entitled 'Notes from a Journey', Note di Viaggio, began last Sunday with the concert 'Happy Birthday Festival!' at the Congressi by the Stresa Festival Orchestra, with Festival director Gianandrea Noseda conducting. Burvenich, Sostakovic and Brahms were played. Monday evening fortunate concert-goers listened to 'Brass on the Island', performed by London Brass in the Loggia del Cashmere on Isola Madre. And last night, 'One Night at Bach's', at the Chiesa Madonna di Campagna in Verbania....
Thursday, August 18, 2011
6:42 AM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
I could hear the music from my room on Tuesday evening, and so I went outside to discover the source. I found it in narrow Via A.M. Bolongaro, where the cobblestone road was closed to cars and a band had been set up directly in the street, in front of Bar Caffe Moka. People quickly filled the wooden tables Marcello has outside the bar; they were ordering pizzas, beers and wine.
Thursday, August 11, 2011
6:42 AM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
I joined Fabri on one of his most popular excursions -- the boat trip to the weekly market in Luino. It's the largest market anywhere on the lake and takes place each Wednesday, all year round, covering the entire center and lakefront of the town. Luino by car is about halfway around Lago Maggiore from Stresa, on the Lombardia side, and to reach it by car could take two hours. Arriving with Fabri by boat is shorter, and oh so much nicer. He puts together a wonderful day:
Tuesday, August 9, 2011
8:19 AM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
This is Stresa's new water station. The Casa dell'Acqua is located just a few short streets from Piazza Cadorna, and centrally located enough to hotels, lake, and train station. Whenever you're passing by, or when starting your day of sightseeing, or, when heading back to your room after a long day, make this part of your route.
Wednesday, August 3, 2011
4:30 PM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
The official tourist office of Stresa, Ufficio Turistico Citta di Stresa, is located at the Stresa imbarcadero, on the right side of that building. It is organized and run by the City of Stresa, and therefore it has no ties to any of the individual tour or travel agencies. During the tourist season the office is usually staffed with at least two employees, and all of them are multilingual. There should always be someone on hand who can assist you in Italian, English, German, or French, and possibly a bit of some other languages as well.
Events are provided by STRESA 2.0
- Where can I buy foreign newspapers in Stresa?
- Where can I eat breakfast in Stresa?
- Where are the public restrooms in Stresa?
- Is there a laundromat in Stresa?
- Can I rent a wheelchair in Stresa?
- Should I buy train tickets in advance?
- Are there any day tours to Switzerland from Stresa?
- How can I arrange a civil wedding in Stresa?
- How bad are the summer bugs in Stresa?
- Do I Need A Car In Stresa?
- Is there an Internet cafe in Stresa?
- Is there a supermarket in Stresa?
- Is it too isolated staying at an Isola dei Pescatori hotel?
- Will we need a car if we are staying at Isolino Camping Village?
- Are there any ethnic restaurants in Stresa?
- Can I buy tickets in advance for ferry or the cablecar?
- I was wondering if you might know or recall the name of this restaurant in Baveno?
IMPORTANT POSTS AND LINKS
- If You Have Only One Day in Stresa
- Top Ten Things to See in Stresa
- Alibus Shuttle From Malpensa to Stresa
- Driving Directions From Malpensa - With Photos
- Train Service from Malpensa to Stresa and Milano
- Linate Airport to Stresa Directions
- Milan Tram System Map and Transport
- Bus Schedule
- Stresa Boat Imbarcadero
- Stresa to Mottarone Cableway
- Bus, Train, and Taxi From Malpensa Airport
- Boat Schedule - English
- PosteItaliane - Postal service
- Trenitalia Site and Schedule -- English
- Weather Forecast
- Winter Trip to Stresa? Start Planning Here
- art and culture (36)
- August (23)
- autumn (16)
- books (8)
- churches (8)
- day trips (30)
- events (54)
- favorite quotations (5)
- food (71)
- for kids (7)
- Friends of Stresa Sights (11)
- FYI (20)
- gardens (18)
- Guest writer Tony (5)
- history (31)
- interviews (7)
- just for fun (32)
- learning italian (9)
- letters from readers (13)
- letters from the editor (28)
- memories (10)
- milan (10)
- museums (8)
- music (12)
- my house (2)
- nature (4)
- news and information (54)
- outdoor activities (32)
- photo gallery (38)
- Piemonte (10)
- places to go (53)
- places to stay (9)
- rainy day activities (11)
- restaurants (41)
- risotto (6)
- shopping (23)
- spring (17)
- stresa (90)
- summer (64)
- tours (17)
- transportation (23)
- trivia (3)
- videos (8)
- walks (16)
- What people say... (4)
- wine (29)
- winter (41)