Friday, April 1, 2011
8:16 AM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
In case you were wondering, Italians do enjoy April Fool's Day too. They call it pesce d' aprile. It can be used to indicate the day itself, such as April Fool's Day, or the joke, as in un pesce d'aprile, and also the exclamation, pesce d'aprile! This article ran in the Verbania News this morning, claiming that a billionare from California has found a way to extract bits of gold from the bottom of Lago Maggiore using a new type of magnet. Here's a bit of the article in Italian:
And here's that bit quickly translated:Nelle acque (o meglio sui fondali) del Lago Maggiore vi sarebbero tonnellate d'oro in minuscole particelle. D'altra parte le montagne delle valli attorno sono aurifere (come sanno a Pestarena di Macugnaga, ma miniere d'oro c'erano anche a Cannero e in altre località e il Ticino veniva in passato setacciato dai cercatori d'oro). Ma come fare a recuperare tutto l'oro disperso? Ci proverà la Springhouse Fisherman Ltd del miliardario californiano John Shark che ha brevettato un magnetizzatore aureo. In sostanza si tratta di un sottomarino che attraversando il lago creerà un campo magnetico in grado di attrarre solo le particelle di materiali con peso specifico elevato come quello dell'oro ...
In the water (or rather in the seabed) of Lake Maggiore, there may be tons of gold in small particles. In valleys o
It seems technical and authentic. But have you noticed the clever name the Italians have given to the billionaire? John SHARK? A buon pesce d'aprile indeed!
Labels: just for fun
- Where can I buy foreign newspapers in Stresa?
- Where can I eat breakfast in Stresa?
- Where are the public restrooms in Stresa?
- Is there a laundromat in Stresa?
- Can I rent a wheelchair in Stresa?
- Should I buy train tickets in advance?
- Are there any day tours to Switzerland from Stresa?
- How can I arrange a civil wedding in Stresa?
- How bad are the summer bugs in Stresa?
- Do I Need A Car In Stresa?
- Is there an Internet cafe in Stresa?
- Is there a supermarket in Stresa?
- Is it too isolated staying at an Isola dei Pescatori hotel?
- Will we need a car if we are staying at Isolino Camping Village?
- Are there any ethnic restaurants in Stresa?
IMPORTANT POSTS AND LINKS
- Important Train Information
- Alibus Shuttle From Malpensa to Stresa
- Driving Directions From Malpensa - With Photos
- If You Have Only One Day in Stresa
- Top Ten Things to See in Stresa
- Parking a Car in Stresa
- Train Service from Malpensa to Stresa and Milano
- Linate Airport to Stresa Directions
- Milan Tram System Map and Transport
- Bus Schedule
- Stresa Boat Imbarcadero
- Stresa to Mottarone Cableway
- Boat Schedule - English
- PosteItaliane - Postal service
- Trenitalia Site and Schedule -- English
- Winter Trip to Stresa? Start Planning Here
If you don't already receive Italian Notebook, sign up immediately to receive this wonderful daily dose of Italy.
- art and culture
- day trips
- for kids
- Guest writer Tony
- just for fun
- learning italian
- letters from readers
- letters from the editor
- news and information
- outdoor activities
- photo gallery
- places to go
- places to go and day trips
- places to stay
- rainy day activities
- things to do