- ► 2012 (70)
- ► 2011 (69)
- ► 2010 (108)
- Piazza Cadorna
- Three Great Things To Do With Kids In Stresa
- Thanks Italy Tutto!
- Thirty Straight Years Visiting Stresa!
- Stresa Festival Fall Schedule Begins
- Ascona To Venice In One Boat
- An American Barbeque In Italy
- Lago Mergozzo
- Favorite Quotations #2
- Readers Questions
- Parco And Zoo Pallavicino
- Catch A Falling Star On The Night Of San Lorenzo
- Una Bella Serata of Bach at Santa Caterina
- The Shakerato
- Practice Your Italian Writing
- 11th Annual Campionato Mondiale di Fuochi d'Artifi...
- ▼ August (16)
Friday, August 7, 2009
5:50 AM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
Dove eravamo rimasti? Where were we? I've been on vacation here in Stresa, but now it's time to get back to work reporting on all the happenings and supplying you with the information you need to make the most of your time spent in the "Pearl of Lago Maggiore."
Let's jump right in to a major event that began in mid-July and will continue until August 30th. You need to look up for this one, the 11th Annual Campionato Mondiale di Fuochi d'Artificio, the 11th Annual World Fireworks Championship. At six different locations, all easily reached from Stresa, all of them stunning visually even without fireworks, six different international fireworks companies will each put on their very best show.
The first event of this season, a show put on by Parente Fireworks of Italy, on July 25, was maybe the most interesting. For the first time ever, a fireworks display was staged at la Cascata del Toce, the waterfall of the Toce River, in Formazza. Imagine ten thousand noses, all pointed up, watching the light show in the sky which was reflected also in the waters of the falls. Now imagine that most of those people walked for 40 minutes to arrive at this remote spot, on a dirt trail lit only with their own flashlights, and you know that this must have been very special indeed...
Mergozzo hosted the second evening of fireworks, with a show presented by Forward Fireworks Company of China. I saw a bit of this display myself, from one entire lake away. As I was traveling in a boat on Lago Maggiore that evening, I was able to see in the clear sky, far away, the bursts of fireworks over tiny Lago Mergozzo. Imagine how it was there...
Here's the rest of the schedule for this season, and a link to the official website for the championship. The remainder of the venues don't require such arduous work as la Cascata del Toce to reach, but you can expect traffic and parking to be an issue for these events. Perhaps the thing to do would be to plan a day around the show in the evening, arriving early and enjoying the rest of what the area has to offer as well.
August 8; Arona; 11:30 p.m. - Venefuegos Fireworks C.A. - Venezuela
August 14; Santa Maria Maggiore, Valle Vigezzo; 9:30 p.m. - Show FX Australia Pty - Australia
August 14; Verbania; 11:00 p.m.; Apogee Fireworks - Canada
August 23; Omegna; 9:30 p.m.; Feuerwerke Jost - Austria
August 30; Omegna; 9:30 p.m.; Grand Closing show - Parente Fireworks - Italy
Official Web site: http://www.fioridifuoco.it/programma_09e.html
Events are provided by STRESA 2.0
- Where can I buy foreign newspapers in Stresa?
- Where can I eat breakfast in Stresa?
- Where are the public restrooms in Stresa?
- Is there a laundromat in Stresa?
- Can I rent a wheelchair in Stresa?
- Should I buy train tickets in advance?
- Are there any day tours to Switzerland from Stresa?
- How can I arrange a civil wedding in Stresa?
- How bad are the summer bugs in Stresa?
- Do I Need A Car In Stresa?
- Is there an Internet cafe in Stresa?
- Is there a supermarket in Stresa?
- Is it too isolated staying at an Isola dei Pescatori hotel?
- Will we need a car if we are staying at Isolino Camping Village?
- Are there any ethnic restaurants in Stresa?
- Can I buy tickets in advance for ferry or the cablecar?
- I was wondering if you might know or recall the name of this restaurant in Baveno?
IMPORTANT POSTS AND LINKS
- If You Have Only One Day in Stresa
- Top Ten Things to See in Stresa
- Alibus Shuttle From Malpensa to Stresa
- Driving Directions From Malpensa - With Photos
- Train Service from Malpensa to Stresa and Milano
- Linate Airport to Stresa Directions
- Milan Tram System Map and Transport
- Bus Schedule
- Stresa Boat Imbarcadero
- Stresa to Mottarone Cableway
- Bus, Train, and Taxi From Malpensa Airport
- Boat Schedule - English
- PosteItaliane - Postal service
- Trenitalia Site and Schedule -- English
- Weather Forecast
- Winter Trip to Stresa? Start Planning Here
- art and culture (34)
- August (23)
- autumn (16)
- books (8)
- churches (8)
- day trips (30)
- events (54)
- favorite quotations (5)
- food (70)
- for kids (7)
- Friends of Stresa Sights (11)
- FYI (20)
- gardens (18)
- Guest writer Tony (5)
- history (31)
- interviews (7)
- just for fun (31)
- learning italian (9)
- letters from readers (13)
- letters from the editor (27)
- memories (10)
- milan (10)
- museums (8)
- music (10)
- my house (2)
- nature (4)
- news and information (54)
- outdoor activities (31)
- photo gallery (38)
- Piemonte (10)
- places to go (53)
- places to stay (9)
- rainy day activities (9)
- restaurants (38)
- risotto (6)
- shopping (23)
- spring (17)
- stresa (89)
- summer (61)
- tours (17)
- transportation (23)
- trivia (3)
- videos (8)
- walks (16)
- What people say... (4)
- wine (27)
- winter (41)