Monday, January 9, 2017
10:14 AM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
There's sunshine, warm enough to feel on your skin. There's a roaring fire in the stone hearth. There are bowls of polenta and spezzatino, and plates of potatoes and melted cheese, raclette. There are ski lessons for the little ones and not-so-little ones who are just learning. And there's the Alpyland toboggan for all.
Where? At the top of Mt. Mottarone in winter. Spend a nice Sunday afternoon there, even if just for the lunch and sunshine part, as well as a little walk around.
It's about a 30-minute drive from Stresa, winding up the mountain, all the time following signs for Mottarone. It's a toll road, 8 euros per car (as of this writing). You'll drive under the Alpyland track when you're near the top, and then find parking in one of the dirt parking areas or along the road. Parking is all free.
In winter Casa della Neve is the center of the action. Rustic mountain decor, lots of people, large tables of families and friends, warm comfort foods, and views to die for.
If you take the cableway up from Carciano it takes about 18 minutes, plus another short chairlift ride to reach the top (or a 15-minute walk). Cost: 13.50 euro per adult/8.50 per child 4 to 12 (as of this writing). (stresa-mottarone.it)
Either way, what views...
- Where can I buy foreign newspapers in Stresa?
- Where can I eat breakfast in Stresa?
- Where are the public restrooms in Stresa?
- Is there a laundromat in Stresa?
- Can I rent a wheelchair in Stresa?
- Should I buy train tickets in advance?
- Are there any day tours to Switzerland from Stresa?
- How can I arrange a civil wedding in Stresa?
- How bad are the summer bugs in Stresa?
- Do I Need A Car In Stresa?
- Is there an Internet cafe in Stresa?
- Is there a supermarket in Stresa?
- Is it too isolated staying at an Isola dei Pescatori hotel?
- Will we need a car if we are staying at Isolino Camping Village?
- Are there any ethnic restaurants in Stresa?
IMPORTANT POSTS AND LINKS
- Important Train Information
- Alibus Shuttle From Malpensa to Stresa
- Driving Directions From Malpensa - With Photos
- If You Have Only One Day in Stresa
- Top Ten Things to See in Stresa
- Parking a Car in Stresa
- Train Service from Malpensa to Stresa and Milano
- Linate Airport to Stresa Directions
- Milan Tram System Map and Transport
- Bus Schedule
- Stresa Boat Imbarcadero
- Stresa to Mottarone Cableway
- Boat Schedule - English
- PosteItaliane - Postal service
- Trenitalia Site and Schedule -- English
- Winter Trip to Stresa? Start Planning Here
If you don't already receive Italian Notebook, sign up immediately to receive this wonderful daily dose of Italy.
- art and culture
- day trips
- for kids
- Guest writer Tony
- just for fun
- learning italian
- letters from readers
- letters from the editor
- news and information
- outdoor activities
- photo gallery
- places to go
- places to go and day trips
- places to stay
- rainy day activities
- things to do