Thursday, September 25, 2014
6:51 AM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
A few readers have asked about mass times at the main church in Stresa, SS Ambrogio and Theodulo. This is the large church across from the boat station parking lot, across from the bus stop, where on one corner the Alibus pick-up stop also is located. In other words, it is the church used often as a landmark.
But for those of you who wish to use it for more than a landmark, take a look on the main doors when walking past. The mass times are posted on the door.
Sundays and Holidays:
6:00 pm (18:00)
Weekdays: (Monday through Friday)
6:00 pm (18:00)
6:00 pm (18:00)
Recitation of the Rosary:
5:30 pm (17:30)
Mass at the church in the village of Passera: Every Sunday at 9:30
Mass at the church at Collegio Rosmini (SS Crocefisso):
Weekdays at 6:30 (18:30)
The hours for confession are also posted on the door:
Hours for the confessions:
The priest is present for confessions with the following availability:
Each weekday, 1/2 hour before mass, from 5:30 to 6:00 pm (17:30 to 18:00)
Saturdays from 5:00 to 5:45 pm (17:00 to 17:45)
Sundays from 10:00 to 11:00
( Continued ... )
Italian churches are always so beautiful ... even if you are not planning to attend any services, take a quiet detour inside SS Ambrogio e Theodulo. The church was designed by Giuseppe Zanoia, who was an abbot in Omegna in the 18th century. The church was completed in 1790. Its simple neo-classic design features three altars inside. In the center the main altar is decorated with paintings dedicated to Saint Ambrogio. On the right is an altar housing the remains of Saint Vitiliano. And the altar on the left features a painting by Morazzone of the Crucifixion of Christ. The walls are relatively simple, while in contrast, the ceiling is beautifully painted.
Saint Ambrogio, German by birth, is known in English as Saint Ambrose. He was an archbishop in Milan in the 4th century; one of the most influential ecclesiastical leaders of his time. Stresa's patron saint day is December 7, in honor of Saint Ambrogio.
At various times during the year this church is the venue for organ concerts and other musical events. That information should also be posted on the door in advance of the events.
Photographs are forbidden inside, and proper attire is expected.
For other churches in the area please check directly on their doors or walls for mass times and other information.
- Where can I buy foreign newspapers in Stresa?
- Where can I eat breakfast in Stresa?
- Where are the public restrooms in Stresa?
- Is there a laundromat in Stresa?
- Can I rent a wheelchair in Stresa?
- Should I buy train tickets in advance?
- Are there any day tours to Switzerland from Stresa?
- How can I arrange a civil wedding in Stresa?
- How bad are the summer bugs in Stresa?
- Do I Need A Car In Stresa?
- Is there an Internet cafe in Stresa?
- Is there a supermarket in Stresa?
- Is it too isolated staying at an Isola dei Pescatori hotel?
- Will we need a car if we are staying at Isolino Camping Village?
- Are there any ethnic restaurants in Stresa?
IMPORTANT POSTS AND LINKS
- Important Train Information
- Alibus Shuttle From Malpensa to Stresa
- Driving Directions From Malpensa - With Photos
- If You Have Only One Day in Stresa
- Top Ten Things to See in Stresa
- Parking a Car in Stresa
- Train Service from Malpensa to Stresa and Milano
- Linate Airport to Stresa Directions
- Milan Tram System Map and Transport
- Bus Schedule
- Stresa Boat Imbarcadero
- Stresa to Mottarone Cableway
- Boat Schedule - English
- PosteItaliane - Postal service
- Trenitalia Site and Schedule -- English
- Winter Trip to Stresa? Start Planning Here
If you don't already receive Italian Notebook, sign up immediately to receive this wonderful daily dose of Italy.
- art and culture
- day trips
- for kids
- Guest writer Tony
- just for fun
- learning italian
- letters from readers
- letters from the editor
- news and information
- outdoor activities
- photo gallery
- places to go
- places to go and day trips
- places to stay
- rainy day activities
- things to do