Sunday, July 13, 2014
3:50 AM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
When good friends came to visit, because it was a Thursday, we didn't even have to think where to go. Especially with a pretty evening such as this one was. We went to Caffe Bar Verbanella, since there is live jazz there every Thursday (and now Friday too) of the summer. I have written of this in other summers, but I like to keep doing so as a reminder to new visitors.
It was late June this time, so very long days. Arriving at 8:00 pm, the sky was still light. Just up the lake from us, near the Lido Blu Beach, a few people silently fished. The terrace was still empty at Verbanella; we're speaking of jazz after all, music and crowds start a bit later.
We ordered our first glasses of wine and I attempted artsy shots of the chardonnays and mountains. From the Verbanella terrace, looking at the lake, the sun sets to your left, over Baveno, causing shadow to slowly overtake the terrace.
( Continued ... )
I ordered a salad with shrimps, and Giuseppe ordered a Caprese salad. Then, we had roast beef platters and Milanese. And the sun kept setting...
The band had set themselves up inside the restaurant, and had been playing for a while. At one point the drummer took his drumsticks and moved all around the room and outside, using the sticks on every surface he could. The crowd loved it.
And so, another evening at Verbanella. Verbanella is mid-century-modern cool... and it's all authentic here, no re-creation needed. It's always a fun, pleasant evening... And did I mention the sunsets are really beautiful from here? Check their website for up-to-date information on who is playing and when.
Thanks Barb, Rosemary, and Silvia for sharing this evening with us.
photos by stresasights and barb
- Where can I buy foreign newspapers in Stresa?
- Where can I eat breakfast in Stresa?
- Where are the public restrooms in Stresa?
- Is there a laundromat in Stresa?
- Can I rent a wheelchair in Stresa?
- Should I buy train tickets in advance?
- Are there any day tours to Switzerland from Stresa?
- How can I arrange a civil wedding in Stresa?
- How bad are the summer bugs in Stresa?
- Do I Need A Car In Stresa?
- Is there an Internet cafe in Stresa?
- Is there a supermarket in Stresa?
- Is it too isolated staying at an Isola dei Pescatori hotel?
- Will we need a car if we are staying at Isolino Camping Village?
- Are there any ethnic restaurants in Stresa?
IMPORTANT POSTS AND LINKS
- Important Train Information
- Alibus Shuttle From Malpensa to Stresa
- Driving Directions From Malpensa - With Photos
- If You Have Only One Day in Stresa
- Top Ten Things to See in Stresa
- Parking a Car in Stresa
- Train Service from Malpensa to Stresa and Milano
- Linate Airport to Stresa Directions
- Milan Tram System Map and Transport
- Bus Schedule
- Stresa Boat Imbarcadero
- Stresa to Mottarone Cableway
- Boat Schedule - English
- PosteItaliane - Postal service
- Trenitalia Site and Schedule -- English
- Winter Trip to Stresa? Start Planning Here
If you don't already receive Italian Notebook, sign up immediately to receive this wonderful daily dose of Italy.
- art and culture
- day trips
- for kids
- Guest writer Tony
- just for fun
- learning italian
- letters from readers
- letters from the editor
- news and information
- outdoor activities
- photo gallery
- places to go
- places to go and day trips
- places to stay
- rainy day activities
- things to do