Saturday, March 1, 2014
7:45 AM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
Last evening we drank this wine: Travaglini Gattinara DOCG. The wine, made from 100% Nebbiolo grapes, is grown and bottled by the Travaglini family on their property in Gattinara, in Piemonte, only about 40 minutes from Stresa by car. The winery was established by Clemente Travaglini in the 1920s and has been passed down generation to generation. It's an excellent wine, but what I want to tell you about is the bottle, which is unique among wine bottles.
( Continued ... )
You can see in the photos above that the bottle is not standard or symmetrical. It has a sort of hump on one side, and it's there for a reason. The shape, which has become the signature of the Travaglini wines, was designed by Giancarlo Travaglini in 1958. He had the idea of a bottle that was beneficial to the wine inside, but also a work of art.
The bottle has come to be known as the "pregnant" bottle, due to the belly shape on one side. When pouring, if you hold the bottle with the belly down and pour in that direction, the rounded shape of the belly acts in the same way a decanter does, catching any sediment that may exist. The shape on the sides of the bottle is a bit like an ergonomic handle, guiding you to hold the bottle in the proper position.
This image of the bottle, from Travaglini's website, artistically shows the unique shape.
Isn't this a cute way to cut the metal part of the wine bottle seal to make a little holder for the cork?
Travaglini winery website: travaglinigattinara.it
photos by and property of stresasights, apart wine bottle photo from Travaglini
- Where can I buy foreign newspapers in Stresa?
- Where can I eat breakfast in Stresa?
- Where are the public restrooms in Stresa?
- Is there a laundromat in Stresa?
- Can I rent a wheelchair in Stresa?
- Should I buy train tickets in advance?
- Are there any day tours to Switzerland from Stresa?
- How can I arrange a civil wedding in Stresa?
- How bad are the summer bugs in Stresa?
- Do I Need A Car In Stresa?
- Is there an Internet cafe in Stresa?
- Is there a supermarket in Stresa?
- Is it too isolated staying at an Isola dei Pescatori hotel?
- Will we need a car if we are staying at Isolino Camping Village?
- Are there any ethnic restaurants in Stresa?
IMPORTANT POSTS AND LINKS
- Important Train Information
- Alibus Shuttle From Malpensa to Stresa
- Driving Directions From Malpensa - With Photos
- If You Have Only One Day in Stresa
- Top Ten Things to See in Stresa
- Parking a Car in Stresa
- Train Service from Malpensa to Stresa and Milano
- Linate Airport to Stresa Directions
- Milan Tram System Map and Transport
- Bus Schedule
- Stresa Boat Imbarcadero
- Stresa to Mottarone Cableway
- Boat Schedule - English
- PosteItaliane - Postal service
- Trenitalia Site and Schedule -- English
- Winter Trip to Stresa? Start Planning Here
If you don't already receive Italian Notebook, sign up immediately to receive this wonderful daily dose of Italy.
- art and culture
- day trips
- for kids
- Guest writer Tony
- just for fun
- learning italian
- letters from readers
- letters from the editor
- news and information
- outdoor activities
- photo gallery
- places to go
- places to go and day trips
- places to stay
- rainy day activities
- things to do