Saturday, October 19, 2013
2:03 PM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
For your weekend enjoyment.
Here are some short video highlights produced by Stresa Festival of some of this recently closed season's 25 performances. The season, which ran from July 19 through September 7, was divided into three segments. The weekend of July 19 through July 21, called Midsummer Jazz Concerts, comprised five jazz performances. Musical Meditations (Meditazioni in musica) was the segment from July 25 through July 28. And Between Heaven and Earth (Tra terra e cielo) featured 16 performances between August 24 and the September 7 closing. If you've enjoyed any of these performances, reminisce. If you haven't, then you can get a glimpse of what you've been missing and plan for next year.
Below: Midsummer Jazz Concerts 2013; Friday, July 19, 2013; Lungolago la Palazzola, Stresa
Rava on the Dancefloor; Tribute to Michael Jackson
The next day, same location:
Saturday, July 20, 2013; Lungolago la Palazzola, Stresa
Uri Caine on pianoforte:
( Continued ... )
Below: Meditazioni in Musica Series; Eremo di Santa Caterina del Sasso, Friday, July 26, 2013
Julian Steckel, violincello, J.S. Bach, Suite for violincello solo:
This is a highlight of each festival. Each year a different soloist is chosen to play the Suite. Tickets include the private boat round trip, and the hermitage is evocatively lit with dozens of candles .. read a bit about when I went, here.
The festival is diverse and global. Although some constants, such as the above Bach solo, are featured each year, there are also always new guests, always of world-renowned stature. Likewise, while some venues are constant, new ones are always added as well.
Below: Verbania, Chiesa Madonna di Campagna; Sunday, July 28, 2013
Voci Angeliche; Tolzer Knabenchor; directed by Gerhard Schmidt-Gaden
J.S. Bach, Mottetti Tedeschi:
The following two videos are from the third segment, Tra terra e cielo (Between Heaven and Earth).
Another annual highlight, in the Salone degli arazzi (Hall of Tapestries); Palazzo Borromeo, Isola Bella; Tuesday, September 3, 2013
Sol Gabetta, violincello, and Sergio Ciomei, pianoforte:
And this year's closing performance:
Saturday, September 7, 2013; Palazzo dei Congressi, Stresa
Czech Philharmonic; Jin Belohlavek, director:
Stresa Festival has 14 such videos from this year on their official website; you can watch them all in the video gallery. And while next year's schedule won't be posted for some months, if you want to plan to be here during some performances, you can know that the dates remain relatively constant. Bookmark the homepage, or, hey, they even have a mobile app now!
- Where can I buy foreign newspapers in Stresa?
- Where can I eat breakfast in Stresa?
- Where are the public restrooms in Stresa?
- Is there a laundromat in Stresa?
- Can I rent a wheelchair in Stresa?
- Should I buy train tickets in advance?
- Are there any day tours to Switzerland from Stresa?
- How can I arrange a civil wedding in Stresa?
- How bad are the summer bugs in Stresa?
- Do I Need A Car In Stresa?
- Is there an Internet cafe in Stresa?
- Is there a supermarket in Stresa?
- Is it too isolated staying at an Isola dei Pescatori hotel?
- Will we need a car if we are staying at Isolino Camping Village?
- Are there any ethnic restaurants in Stresa?
IMPORTANT POSTS AND LINKS
- Important Train Information
- Alibus Shuttle From Malpensa to Stresa
- Driving Directions From Malpensa - With Photos
- If You Have Only One Day in Stresa
- Top Ten Things to See in Stresa
- Parking a Car in Stresa
- Train Service from Malpensa to Stresa and Milano
- Linate Airport to Stresa Directions
- Milan Tram System Map and Transport
- Bus Schedule
- Stresa Boat Imbarcadero
- Stresa to Mottarone Cableway
- Boat Schedule - English
- PosteItaliane - Postal service
- Trenitalia Site and Schedule -- English
- Winter Trip to Stresa? Start Planning Here
If you don't already receive Italian Notebook, sign up immediately to receive this wonderful daily dose of Italy.
- art and culture
- day trips
- for kids
- Guest writer Tony
- just for fun
- learning italian
- letters from readers
- letters from the editor
- news and information
- outdoor activities
- photo gallery
- places to go
- places to go and day trips
- places to stay
- rainy day activities
- things to do