Thursday, August 15, 2013
6:39 PM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
While waiting for a boat back to Stresa from Verbania Intra one day, we noticed an interesting looking boat at the pier adjacent to ours. It docked slowly, and then, car after car after car began driving off and away into Verbania. This was the first time I had seen the Motonave Sempione, one of the car ferries that connects Intra Verbania in Piemonte with Laveno, across on the Lombardia side of the lake.
( continued ... )
For those of you who are thinking to drive between Lake Como and Lago Maggiore, or to anywhere on the Lombardia side, this is an alternative to driving around the entire lake. The motonave holds 90 vehicles on its two decks, up to a maximum height of 2.2 meters, and it can hold 600 passengers. And it's fast. Twenty minutes shore to shore. The map clearly shows how much distance is saved:
And there are many boats scheduled throughout the day. A glance at the schedule shows boats leaving about every 20 minutes.
If that isn't enough incentive, perhaps you'd like to know that the price is also extremely reasonable. Think of the gasoline savings!
And of course there's a snack bar!
These unique ships are bidirectional, just bouncing back and forth across the lake. There are two in service, passing each other all day on their way between Intra and Laveno. It is also the only car ferry on Lago Maggiore. To plan a trip on the Motonave Sempione, or to discover more of what the Lago Navigazione offers, visit the main site.
- Where can I buy foreign newspapers in Stresa?
- Where can I eat breakfast in Stresa?
- Where are the public restrooms in Stresa?
- Is there a laundromat in Stresa?
- Can I rent a wheelchair in Stresa?
- Should I buy train tickets in advance?
- Are there any day tours to Switzerland from Stresa?
- How can I arrange a civil wedding in Stresa?
- How bad are the summer bugs in Stresa?
- Do I Need A Car In Stresa?
- Is there an Internet cafe in Stresa?
- Is there a supermarket in Stresa?
- Is it too isolated staying at an Isola dei Pescatori hotel?
- Will we need a car if we are staying at Isolino Camping Village?
- Are there any ethnic restaurants in Stresa?
IMPORTANT POSTS AND LINKS
- Important Train Information
- Alibus Shuttle From Malpensa to Stresa
- Driving Directions From Malpensa - With Photos
- If You Have Only One Day in Stresa
- Top Ten Things to See in Stresa
- Parking a Car in Stresa
- Train Service from Malpensa to Stresa and Milano
- Linate Airport to Stresa Directions
- Milan Tram System Map and Transport
- Bus Schedule
- Stresa Boat Imbarcadero
- Stresa to Mottarone Cableway
- Boat Schedule - English
- PosteItaliane - Postal service
- Trenitalia Site and Schedule -- English
- Winter Trip to Stresa? Start Planning Here
If you don't already receive Italian Notebook, sign up immediately to receive this wonderful daily dose of Italy.
- art and culture
- day trips
- for kids
- Guest writer Tony
- just for fun
- learning italian
- letters from readers
- letters from the editor
- news and information
- outdoor activities
- photo gallery
- places to go
- places to go and day trips
- places to stay
- rainy day activities
- things to do