Sunday, July 7, 2013
3:38 AM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
Things are definitely looking better and better for me when it comes to finding sources of reliable caffeine here in Stresa. You may recall my early struggles and failures (read here). And you may already know that I totally caved last winter and now have an American-style drip coffee machine here, and bring several bags of coffee with me each time I come (read here). But now, there's a new weapon in my coffee survival arsenal. (con't ... )
Leave it to my great friend Jane, New Yorker and as much of a caffeine addict as I, to come up with a brilliant idea (one of those now-why-didn't-I-think-of-that ideas). Jane was visiting here in Stresa, and on our very first stop in one of the caffe bars Jane wondered, because she too already had felt the effects of the small amount of caffeine, she wondered aloud, why can't we have a cappucino, but with double the espresso? Basically a double espresso capuccino. We asked, and lo and behold, we can! We've tried this so far at Caffe Bolongaro and at Gigi Bar. The Gigi bar one, shown above, was excellent. Actually, by adding the second shot, we found the taste to be more to our liking; a better balance of coffee and milk. The color is also a bit richer, deeper. Both places sprinkled a dash of cocoa on top, which doesn't hurt either.
So, un capuccino con doppio caffe. Or a double espresso capuccino. However you ask for it, this is another good way take coffee. And since apparently it's still considered a legit Italian coffee; to me it seems the perfect compromise, bridging the caffeine gap very well.
Labels: just for fun
- Where can I buy foreign newspapers in Stresa?
- Where can I eat breakfast in Stresa?
- Where are the public restrooms in Stresa?
- Is there a laundromat in Stresa?
- Can I rent a wheelchair in Stresa?
- Should I buy train tickets in advance?
- Are there any day tours to Switzerland from Stresa?
- How can I arrange a civil wedding in Stresa?
- How bad are the summer bugs in Stresa?
- Do I Need A Car In Stresa?
- Is there an Internet cafe in Stresa?
- Is there a supermarket in Stresa?
- Is it too isolated staying at an Isola dei Pescatori hotel?
- Will we need a car if we are staying at Isolino Camping Village?
- Are there any ethnic restaurants in Stresa?
IMPORTANT POSTS AND LINKS
- Important Train Information
- Alibus Shuttle From Malpensa to Stresa
- Driving Directions From Malpensa - With Photos
- If You Have Only One Day in Stresa
- Top Ten Things to See in Stresa
- Parking a Car in Stresa
- Train Service from Malpensa to Stresa and Milano
- Linate Airport to Stresa Directions
- Milan Tram System Map and Transport
- Bus Schedule
- Stresa Boat Imbarcadero
- Stresa to Mottarone Cableway
- Boat Schedule - English
- PosteItaliane - Postal service
- Trenitalia Site and Schedule -- English
- Winter Trip to Stresa? Start Planning Here
If you don't already receive Italian Notebook, sign up immediately to receive this wonderful daily dose of Italy.
- art and culture
- day trips
- for kids
- Guest writer Tony
- just for fun
- learning italian
- letters from readers
- letters from the editor
- news and information
- outdoor activities
- photo gallery
- places to go
- places to go and day trips
- places to stay
- rainy day activities
- things to do