Sunday, October 7, 2012
7:20 AM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
I always stop and admire the ornate ironwork, the lavoro in ferro, on this house. The entrance is located directly on the busy, narrow pedestrian alley frequented by tourists, via Principessa Margherita, separated from the alley by a tall iron fence a few meters long. The ironwork is intricate enough to offer a bit of privacy to the terrace behind it, but it also is so unique that it calls attention to all who pass by. In the center of the gate there is this golden seahorse? dragon? with a large hook and ring; The height and form lead me to think it was for keeping a horse tied to. Which make me wonder how old the gate is.
( continued... )
And it's not just the gate; the door to the house, inside of the terrace, is the same. As are the windows and balcony above. Every bit of space is lovingly covered with art or plants or flowers. I love the motif, with the flowers, leaves, and unexpected pops of red cherries. I wonder if the house is still inhabited by the artist's family. Were they created long ago or are they more recent? Either way, it's lovely to look at.
Have you seen this house?
Labels: photo gallery
- Where can I buy foreign newspapers in Stresa?
- Where can I eat breakfast in Stresa?
- Where are the public restrooms in Stresa?
- Is there a laundromat in Stresa?
- Can I rent a wheelchair in Stresa?
- Should I buy train tickets in advance?
- Are there any day tours to Switzerland from Stresa?
- How can I arrange a civil wedding in Stresa?
- How bad are the summer bugs in Stresa?
- Do I Need A Car In Stresa?
- Is there an Internet cafe in Stresa?
- Is there a supermarket in Stresa?
- Is it too isolated staying at an Isola dei Pescatori hotel?
- Will we need a car if we are staying at Isolino Camping Village?
- Are there any ethnic restaurants in Stresa?
IMPORTANT POSTS AND LINKS
- Important Train Information
- Alibus Shuttle From Malpensa to Stresa
- Driving Directions From Malpensa - With Photos
- If You Have Only One Day in Stresa
- Top Ten Things to See in Stresa
- Parking a Car in Stresa
- Train Service from Malpensa to Stresa and Milano
- Linate Airport to Stresa Directions
- Milan Tram System Map and Transport
- Bus Schedule
- Stresa Boat Imbarcadero
- Stresa to Mottarone Cableway
- Boat Schedule - English
- PosteItaliane - Postal service
- Trenitalia Site and Schedule -- English
- Winter Trip to Stresa? Start Planning Here
If you don't already receive Italian Notebook, sign up immediately to receive this wonderful daily dose of Italy.
- art and culture
- day trips
- for kids
- Guest writer Tony
- just for fun
- learning italian
- letters from readers
- letters from the editor
- news and information
- outdoor activities
- photo gallery
- places to go
- places to go and day trips
- places to stay
- rainy day activities
- things to do