- ▼ 2012 (70)
- ► 2011 (69)
- ► 2010 (108)
- ► 2009 (161)
Sunday, January 22, 2012
4:04 PM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
A reader named John sent me these two lovely photographs after he read the post "5 Things To Do On A Winter Day In Stresa." He and his wife had just done exactly that, deciding this winter to spend their New Year's Eve here. They had a lovely time, echoing my sentiments in the post about Stresa's winter charms, and they want to share their experience with other readers:
We live in Switzerland and have traveled to Stresa many times over the years by car and train. Last year we decided to escape the big New Year celebrations around Montreux and took the Cisalpino to Stresa on the afternoon of the 31st of December. We stayed with Gianni Saini in one of our favorite rooms [at Hotel Saini], indulged in several glasses of Rose Prosecco chez Massimo and dined in the typically brilliant Vicoletto. No band, no fanfare, no special menu, just Stresa in Winter. Magic.
John was also kind enough to include two photos. The first is his view from inside Buscion; chez Massimo as John called it. :-) I will need to tell Massimo that! The photo is taken looking through the front window out onto via Cavour. I think this could be a poster... The combination of glass, outside view, and reflection is just beautiful!
John apologized for the quality of this second photo, which he took using a panoramic app. It is Piazza Cadorna, taken from approximately where Hotel Elena is, and the Piazza is completely deserted. Everyone was, I imagine, in a warm restaurant such as Il Vicoletto, or having a New Year's dinner at home with family and friends. John loved the unique view of the piazza this way, and I do too.
John, thank you so much for sharing these photos and your words with us. You know that I hope it will encourage others to try a Stresa winter.
Remember readers, other fans of Stresa will really enjoy your photos. If you have some that you would like to share please send them to us!
Events are provided by STRESA 2.0
- Where can I buy foreign newspapers in Stresa?
- Where can I eat breakfast in Stresa?
- Where are the public restrooms in Stresa?
- Is there a laundromat in Stresa?
- Can I rent a wheelchair in Stresa?
- Should I buy train tickets in advance?
- Are there any day tours to Switzerland from Stresa?
- How can I arrange a civil wedding in Stresa?
- How bad are the summer bugs in Stresa?
- Do I Need A Car In Stresa?
- Is there an Internet cafe in Stresa?
- Is there a supermarket in Stresa?
- Is it too isolated staying at an Isola dei Pescatori hotel?
- Will we need a car if we are staying at Isolino Camping Village?
- Are there any ethnic restaurants in Stresa?
- Can I buy tickets in advance for ferry or the cablecar?
- I was wondering if you might know or recall the name of this restaurant in Baveno?
IMPORTANT POSTS AND LINKS
- If You Have Only One Day in Stresa
- Top Ten Things to See in Stresa
- Alibus Shuttle From Malpensa to Stresa
- Driving Directions From Malpensa - With Photos
- Train Service from Malpensa to Stresa and Milano
- Linate Airport to Stresa Directions
- Milan Tram System Map and Transport
- Bus Schedule
- Stresa Boat Imbarcadero
- Stresa to Mottarone Cableway
- Bus, Train, and Taxi From Malpensa Airport
- Boat Schedule - English
- PosteItaliane - Postal service
- Trenitalia Site and Schedule -- English
- Weather Forecast
- Winter Trip to Stresa? Start Planning Here
- art and culture (34)
- August (23)
- autumn (16)
- books (8)
- churches (8)
- day trips (30)
- events (54)
- favorite quotations (5)
- food (70)
- for kids (7)
- Friends of Stresa Sights (11)
- FYI (20)
- gardens (18)
- Guest writer Tony (5)
- history (31)
- interviews (7)
- just for fun (31)
- learning italian (9)
- letters from readers (13)
- letters from the editor (27)
- memories (10)
- milan (10)
- museums (8)
- music (10)
- my house (2)
- nature (4)
- news and information (54)
- outdoor activities (31)
- photo gallery (38)
- Piemonte (10)
- places to go (53)
- places to stay (9)
- rainy day activities (9)
- restaurants (38)
- risotto (6)
- shopping (23)
- spring (17)
- stresa (89)
- summer (61)
- tours (17)
- transportation (23)
- trivia (3)
- videos (8)
- walks (16)
- What people say... (4)
- wine (27)
- winter (41)