Sunday, February 20, 2011
1:50 AM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
A typical water taxi.
Although the Navigazione Laghi ferry system is efficient, inexpensive, and easy, there are times when you might need or want to take a water taxi to or from Stresa. These times may include:
Going to or returning from a dinner on Isola Bella or Isola dei Pescatori, after ferry hours.
Traveling with a group large enough to make a water taxi more cost-effective and fun.
Wanting to visit locations not on normal ferry routes.
Personalized, romantic sunset journeys.
At either of the Stresa imbarcaderi, boat docks, you will always notice the water taxi owners waiting for fares. At the Stresa end you will often be approached by these captains, you'll recognize them because they are usually wearing a boat captain type of hat, as you are walking to the ticket office. If you think you would prefer to take a water taxi instead of the ferry, discuss the price with them. You may also be able to reserve a taxi for later in the evening in this way. At the other end of town, at the Carciano imbarcadero, also called the Lido boat stop, there is a small hut-like structure where the boat owners wait.
If you are having dinner on one of the islands, which is a popular, special, and romantic thing that visitors to Stresa often like to do, first of all you should always make a reservation with your restaurant of choice. And then, always ask them to arrange a water taxi for you. Likewise, a water taxi may be a good idea if you want to have a special dinner in one of the other towns nearby on the lake, such as Baveno, Verbania, or Ferriolo. Save this for special occasions of course, but it will make any evening more memorable for sure.
The water taxis can usually be found last minute, but if you do want to plan this beforehand, or, if you are arranging an outing for a wedding, corporate event, or other special occasion, here are a few companies to contact in advance:
Motoscafisti delle Isole Borromee: On the Carciano dock, the boat owners have organized themselves into a group, which can be reached through the following site. They will supply you with prices and the right sized boat for your needs. Look for the VS symbol on the boats to indicate they are a part of this group.
Consorzio Motoscafisti Associati: On the other side of Stresa, at the Stresa imbarcadero, you'll find this groups' boats ready for hire. Their website, in English, explains all of their services and offerings.
photos courtesy of the motoscafisti websites.
- Where can I buy foreign newspapers in Stresa?
- Where can I eat breakfast in Stresa?
- Where are the public restrooms in Stresa?
- Is there a laundromat in Stresa?
- Can I rent a wheelchair in Stresa?
- Should I buy train tickets in advance?
- Are there any day tours to Switzerland from Stresa?
- How can I arrange a civil wedding in Stresa?
- How bad are the summer bugs in Stresa?
- Do I Need A Car In Stresa?
- Is there an Internet cafe in Stresa?
- Is there a supermarket in Stresa?
- Is it too isolated staying at an Isola dei Pescatori hotel?
- Will we need a car if we are staying at Isolino Camping Village?
- Are there any ethnic restaurants in Stresa?
IMPORTANT POSTS AND LINKS
- Important Train Information
- Alibus Shuttle From Malpensa to Stresa
- Driving Directions From Malpensa - With Photos
- If You Have Only One Day in Stresa
- Top Ten Things to See in Stresa
- Parking a Car in Stresa
- Train Service from Malpensa to Stresa and Milano
- Linate Airport to Stresa Directions
- Milan Tram System Map and Transport
- Bus Schedule
- Stresa Boat Imbarcadero
- Stresa to Mottarone Cableway
- Boat Schedule - English
- PosteItaliane - Postal service
- Trenitalia Site and Schedule -- English
- Winter Trip to Stresa? Start Planning Here
If you don't already receive Italian Notebook, sign up immediately to receive this wonderful daily dose of Italy.
- art and culture
- day trips
- for kids
- Guest writer Tony
- just for fun
- learning italian
- letters from readers
- letters from the editor
- news and information
- outdoor activities
- photo gallery
- places to go
- places to go and day trips
- places to stay
- rainy day activities
- things to do