Tuesday, August 24, 2010
6:29 AM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
While many of the hotels serve a scrumptious breakfast buffet, and many prepare wonderful special dinner menus throughout the year, there is only one annual Buffet di Ferragosto, and it is that which is served each August 15 at the Grand Hotel des Iles Borromees. At this grandest of the grand hotels, each Ferragosto holiday, the annual mid-summer festival, is an occasion to out-do themselves with edible sculptures and a gastronomical heaven of a menu. With all foods served in finger food sizes you can be sure to try each and every one! Here are a few photos of the preparation for this year's feast:
There's no reason to pile up a plate... you can try foods one a time, because they are served in their own glass or spoon. The cost of this dinner buffet, served from 8 to 10 pm, was 75 euro... a princely price, si, but this is the Borromees afterall, and an only once-a-year experience each August.
- Where can I buy foreign newspapers in Stresa?
- Where can I eat breakfast in Stresa?
- Where are the public restrooms in Stresa?
- Is there a laundromat in Stresa?
- Can I rent a wheelchair in Stresa?
- Should I buy train tickets in advance?
- Are there any day tours to Switzerland from Stresa?
- How can I arrange a civil wedding in Stresa?
- How bad are the summer bugs in Stresa?
- Do I Need A Car In Stresa?
- Is there an Internet cafe in Stresa?
- Is there a supermarket in Stresa?
- Is it too isolated staying at an Isola dei Pescatori hotel?
- Will we need a car if we are staying at Isolino Camping Village?
- Are there any ethnic restaurants in Stresa?
IMPORTANT POSTS AND LINKS
- Important Train Information
- Alibus Shuttle From Malpensa to Stresa
- Driving Directions From Malpensa - With Photos
- If You Have Only One Day in Stresa
- Top Ten Things to See in Stresa
- Parking a Car in Stresa
- Train Service from Malpensa to Stresa and Milano
- Linate Airport to Stresa Directions
- Milan Tram System Map and Transport
- Bus Schedule
- Stresa Boat Imbarcadero
- Stresa to Mottarone Cableway
- Boat Schedule - English
- PosteItaliane - Postal service
- Trenitalia Site and Schedule -- English
- Winter Trip to Stresa? Start Planning Here
If you don't already receive Italian Notebook, sign up immediately to receive this wonderful daily dose of Italy.
- art and culture
- day trips
- for kids
- Guest writer Tony
- just for fun
- learning italian
- letters from readers
- letters from the editor
- news and information
- outdoor activities
- photo gallery
- places to go
- places to go and day trips
- places to stay
- rainy day activities
- things to do