Thursday, June 19, 2014
5:30 AM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
Friday evenings here in Stresa can be a lot of fun! Like last Friday, when we ate dinner at Cafe Torino, on the full-to-capacity terrace, listening to the engaging piano music and songs of Joe Diverio.
Joe was born in Italy, trained in music at the Giuseppe Verdi Conservatory of Music, and then began his career as an accordion instructor and, at that time, the youngest concert performer in Italy. By 1960 he was performing in Italy, Switzerland, France, Lebanon, Holland and Luxembourg. In Beirut, Lebanon he began working at the famous Caves Du Roy Nightclub, eventually remaining there several years, playing music, managing the club, and releasing records.
( Continued ... )
The following years took him away from Lebanon due to civil unrest there and travel and work around the world, but Joe always found himself returning to Beirut. And although that's his 'home away from home', since 2002 he has been back here on Lago Maggiore, to the benefit of patrons who get to hear him at Caffe Torino.
You can learn more about Joe on his bio on his Facebook page, but even better, just come and hear him play! Caffe Torino is in Piazza Cadorna, and is open almost always for breakfast, lunch, dinner, drinks, snacks, caffe, etc.
- Where can I buy foreign newspapers in Stresa?
- Where can I eat breakfast in Stresa?
- Where are the public restrooms in Stresa?
- Is there a laundromat in Stresa?
- Can I rent a wheelchair in Stresa?
- Should I buy train tickets in advance?
- Are there any day tours to Switzerland from Stresa?
- How can I arrange a civil wedding in Stresa?
- How bad are the summer bugs in Stresa?
- Do I Need A Car In Stresa?
- Is there an Internet cafe in Stresa?
- Is there a supermarket in Stresa?
- Is it too isolated staying at an Isola dei Pescatori hotel?
- Will we need a car if we are staying at Isolino Camping Village?
- Are there any ethnic restaurants in Stresa?
IMPORTANT POSTS AND LINKS
- Important Train Information
- Alibus Shuttle From Malpensa to Stresa
- Driving Directions From Malpensa - With Photos
- If You Have Only One Day in Stresa
- Top Ten Things to See in Stresa
- Parking a Car in Stresa
- Train Service from Malpensa to Stresa and Milano
- Linate Airport to Stresa Directions
- Milan Tram System Map and Transport
- Bus Schedule
- Stresa Boat Imbarcadero
- Stresa to Mottarone Cableway
- Boat Schedule - English
- PosteItaliane - Postal service
- Trenitalia Site and Schedule -- English
- Winter Trip to Stresa? Start Planning Here
If you don't already receive Italian Notebook, sign up immediately to receive this wonderful daily dose of Italy.
- art and culture
- day trips
- for kids
- Guest writer Tony
- just for fun
- learning italian
- letters from readers
- letters from the editor
- news and information
- outdoor activities
- photo gallery
- places to go
- places to go and day trips
- places to stay
- rainy day activities
- things to do