- ▼ April (6)
- ► 2011 (69)
- ► 2010 (108)
- ► 2009 (161)
Thursday, April 26, 2012
10:06 PM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
Here's the next collection of photos from the FotograFIAMO contest. These six were taken by three different photographers, but all have a common theme of having a view of the lake from a vantage point high in the mountains. And every one of these vantage points is part of a well-established and easily hiked trail, making these photos hopefully an inspiration to take your camera and do some trekking. (continue for photos ....)
Saturday, April 21, 2012
10:32 PM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
The outdoor garden at ristorante Piemontese in Stresa.
Sunday, April 15, 2012
9:41 PM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
This is a montage of some of the photographs received in response to the contest.
FotografiAMO Neveazzurra!!! That was the name of the photography contest initiated by the Distretto Turistico dei Laghi in late 2011. Within a very short time after the announcement the office was inundated with over 2000 photo entries, submitted by dozens of amateur photographers, of the lake region covered by the Distretto office. Somehow, they managed to select 51 finalists from this bounty, and then 10 winning photographs from those. The choice must have been difficult -- talk about an overabundance of riches!
My friend Filippo at the Distretto office has been so kind to send me over 30 of the finalist and winning images. The ones he sent me, with a few exceptions, focus on the Stresa, Borromeo Gulf, and Mt. Mottarone area. I think I'll post them in a few groups; let's spread out this good thing! (continue for photos!)
Wednesday, April 11, 2012
2:30 PM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
Linate Aeroporto is just outside of the city of Milano. To reach Stresa, north of Milano, the best way may be to travel into the city to the train station.
A lovely reader wrote to me a couple of days ago with a very good question regarding transportation. I haven't been able, for some reason, to return a mail to her, and seeing as the question may be pertinent to many and a good addition to the Transportation file, let's address it here.
The reader asks:
Q. I am flying into Linate Airport in July 2012 and am heading for Stresa....
I was going to get the Shuttle Bus from Linate Airport to Malpensa Airport and then get on the Alibus to take me to Stresa.
Does this make sense to you, if not can you suggest the best way for me to do it without a lot of changing. (continue reading for the answer ...)
Saturday, April 7, 2012
6:31 AM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
TANTI AUGURI for a BUONA PASQUA
Wishing all the readers of Stresa Sights a happy holiday.
I've borrowed this Pasqua, Easter image from Distretto Turistico dei Laghi's website, as it pleases me so much. The colomba, the dove, one of the symbols of Easter, carrying the first sprigs of spring plants, here superimposed over an image of Isola Pescatori seen from shore with spring flowers.
Look for the Colomba, the dove-shaped traditional Pasqua cake, too, and however you celebrate, have a beautiful day.
Wednesday, April 4, 2012
11:15 AM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
Anyone who has read this blog knows where I like to relax here in Stresa. And where I have had countless glasses of wine. And where I'm going to send everyone for aperitivo when they are here. Enoteca al Buscion. And one of the best reasons to go to Buscion? It's owner, Massimo Colla.
Ciao Massimo! Anyone who has read this blog has also heard me mention Massimo many times. Now it's time to hear from Massimo himself. As another season gets underway here in Stresa, Massimo took the time to answer these interview questions for us:
1. Tell us a little bit about yourself. Who is Massimo, and why did you decide to open your bar, Al Buscion?
I am 35 years old, and I have a grand passion for wines. I left Italy 15 years ago for London, where I worked in a restaurant that had a very large selection of wines, and therefore, I started to dream of one day opening an enoteca. Seven years ago my dream was realized, thanks to my family, when they decided to take over a wine bar in Stresa and they gave it the name al Buscion.
2. Who are your customers? And what is special about Buscion?
This enoteca is very special, because it is a family-run company, and because we look to establish with our clients a relationship of friendship, making our customers feel like they are at home!! Our clients are a mix of people who live here, those who have vacation homes here in Stresa, and tourists from every part of the world. .... (continued)
Events are provided by STRESA 2.0
- Where can I buy foreign newspapers in Stresa?
- Where can I eat breakfast in Stresa?
- Where are the public restrooms in Stresa?
- Is there a laundromat in Stresa?
- Can I rent a wheelchair in Stresa?
- Should I buy train tickets in advance?
- Are there any day tours to Switzerland from Stresa?
- How can I arrange a civil wedding in Stresa?
- How bad are the summer bugs in Stresa?
- Do I Need A Car In Stresa?
- Is there an Internet cafe in Stresa?
- Is there a supermarket in Stresa?
- Is it too isolated staying at an Isola dei Pescatori hotel?
- Will we need a car if we are staying at Isolino Camping Village?
- Are there any ethnic restaurants in Stresa?
- Can I buy tickets in advance for ferry or the cablecar?
- I was wondering if you might know or recall the name of this restaurant in Baveno?
IMPORTANT POSTS AND LINKS
- If You Have Only One Day in Stresa
- Top Ten Things to See in Stresa
- Alibus Shuttle From Malpensa to Stresa
- Driving Directions From Malpensa - With Photos
- Train Service from Malpensa to Stresa and Milano
- Linate Airport to Stresa Directions
- Milan Tram System Map and Transport
- Bus Schedule
- Stresa Boat Imbarcadero
- Stresa to Mottarone Cableway
- Bus, Train, and Taxi From Malpensa Airport
- Boat Schedule - English
- PosteItaliane - Postal service
- Trenitalia Site and Schedule -- English
- Weather Forecast
- Winter Trip to Stresa? Start Planning Here
- art and culture (34)
- August (23)
- autumn (16)
- books (8)
- churches (8)
- day trips (30)
- events (54)
- favorite quotations (5)
- food (70)
- for kids (7)
- Friends of Stresa Sights (11)
- FYI (20)
- gardens (18)
- Guest writer Tony (5)
- history (31)
- interviews (7)
- just for fun (31)
- learning italian (9)
- letters from readers (13)
- letters from the editor (27)
- memories (10)
- milan (10)
- museums (8)
- music (10)
- my house (2)
- nature (4)
- news and information (54)
- outdoor activities (31)
- photo gallery (38)
- Piemonte (9)
- places to go (53)
- places to stay (9)
- rainy day activities (9)
- restaurants (38)
- risotto (6)
- shopping (23)
- spring (17)
- stresa (88)
- summer (61)
- tours (17)
- transportation (23)
- trivia (3)
- videos (8)
- walks (16)
- What people say... (3)
- wine (27)
- winter (41)