- ► 2012 (70)
- ▼ November (4)
- ► 2010 (108)
- ► 2009 (161)
Sunday, November 27, 2011
8:45 PM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
For all those who believe that Stresa just goes to sleep during the winter, I hope that our recent posts are starting to show you that there is a wonder to Stresa also in these colder months when the summer attractions are closed. Here's another idea to add to your winter list, how about ice skating? ....
Sunday, November 20, 2011
8:36 AM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
The 2011 Stresa Natale schedule has been published by the city's Comune. It will begin on December 7 with a special mass at Chiesa San Ambrogio, and it will continue with a long itinerary of events until January 6, 2012. Here is the Program:
Wednesday December 7:
11:00 AM: Special mass at the church.
2:00 PM: The Christmas market opens inside Il Centro Incontro Anziani. This annual special market sells crafts made by hand, with the proceeds going toward helping children in the third world.
2:30 PM: It's BORROMEO vs. VISCONTI in this soccer match at the Oratorio di Rosmini di Stresa.
5:00 PM: A traditional bonfire on the lungolago in front of Hotel Astoria. Free Vin Brule will be served.
6:00 PM: Mass at San Ambrogio.
Thursday, December 8: (Day of Immaculate Conception, Immacolata Concezione)
8:30 AM: Mass at San Ambrogio.
10:00 AM - 6:00 PM: Piazza Cadorna will be filled with Christmas animals and an old fashioned market selling typical and traditional local products. Roast and polenta will also be sold.
10:00 AM: Also in the Piazza, another small market from the Asilo Marzio Ostini (the nursery school).
10:00 AM: Mass at Chiesa San Michele, Stresa.
10:45 AM: A fund raising auction at Chiesa San Michele.
11:00 AM: Mass at San Ambrogio.
2:30 PM: Rosary and benediction at San Michele.
6:00 PM: Mass at San Ambrogio.
8:30 PM: Award ceremony for the Stresiani of the Year, Stresiani Benmerito 2011, at Palazzo dei Congressi.
Wednesday, November 9, 2011
8:19 AM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
It's easy to reach Stresa (A) from Milan (B), and it's easy to reach Como (C) from Milan, but how do you get from A to C?
A reader writes: "I will be in Stresa for 5 days and want to visit Como and Milan as well. How can I do this?"
Another reader writes: "I was curious if there are any one day tours to Bellagio from Stresa or is there an easy way to get there on my own."
And another writes: "We would like to make an excursion from Stresa to Madonna del Ghisallo - 12 k from Bellagio on Lake Como."
These are just a few of the many mails we get from readers who are visiting Stresa, but who also want to see Lake Como. And who can blame them? The only thing better than one gorgeous lake could be two gorgeous lakes. The problem is that traveling between the two, even between main cities on each, is not that simple to do. As you can see in the map above, although both lakes are very easy to reach from Milan or Milan's Malpensa airport, they are not easy to reach from each other ....
Tuesday, November 1, 2011
8:01 AM | Dana Kaplan, Stresa Sights | Edit Post
Many of you may think that Stresa is only a summer destination. But I've been very pleased this year to have many readers write to me that they are planning to visit in the winter, especially over the Christmas and New Year period. Some like to ski, some like the scenery; others simply like the quiet, warmth and solitude that the winter months offer. And some like to experience the many traditions of the season of Natale here.
Here is our list of some of the 2011-2012 winter events in Stresa and the surrounding area. I'll list them chronologically, and they will be added to the Stresa Sights calendar as well. This blog post will also be kept as an important link on the right sidebar, to reference throughout the season as you make your plans or check for updates. Whenever possible there are links to a site with more information about each event. Many of those sites are only available in Italian; I suggest trying a translator program such as Google Translate for the information. ... The list ...
Events are provided by STRESA 2.0
- Where can I buy foreign newspapers in Stresa?
- Where can I eat breakfast in Stresa?
- Where are the public restrooms in Stresa?
- Is there a laundromat in Stresa?
- Can I rent a wheelchair in Stresa?
- Should I buy train tickets in advance?
- Are there any day tours to Switzerland from Stresa?
- How can I arrange a civil wedding in Stresa?
- How bad are the summer bugs in Stresa?
- Do I Need A Car In Stresa?
- Is there an Internet cafe in Stresa?
- Is there a supermarket in Stresa?
- Is it too isolated staying at an Isola dei Pescatori hotel?
- Will we need a car if we are staying at Isolino Camping Village?
- Are there any ethnic restaurants in Stresa?
- Can I buy tickets in advance for ferry or the cablecar?
- I was wondering if you might know or recall the name of this restaurant in Baveno?
IMPORTANT POSTS AND LINKS
- If You Have Only One Day in Stresa
- Top Ten Things to See in Stresa
- Alibus Shuttle From Malpensa to Stresa
- Driving Directions From Malpensa - With Photos
- Train Service from Malpensa to Stresa and Milano
- Linate Airport to Stresa Directions
- Milan Tram System Map and Transport
- Bus Schedule
- Stresa Boat Imbarcadero
- Stresa to Mottarone Cableway
- Bus, Train, and Taxi From Malpensa Airport
- Boat Schedule - English
- PosteItaliane - Postal service
- Trenitalia Site and Schedule -- English
- Weather Forecast
- Winter Trip to Stresa? Start Planning Here
- art and culture (34)
- August (23)
- autumn (16)
- books (8)
- churches (8)
- day trips (30)
- events (54)
- favorite quotations (5)
- food (70)
- for kids (7)
- Friends of Stresa Sights (11)
- FYI (20)
- gardens (18)
- Guest writer Tony (5)
- history (31)
- interviews (7)
- just for fun (31)
- learning italian (9)
- letters from readers (13)
- letters from the editor (27)
- memories (10)
- milan (10)
- museums (8)
- music (10)
- my house (2)
- nature (4)
- news and information (54)
- outdoor activities (31)
- photo gallery (38)
- Piemonte (9)
- places to go (53)
- places to stay (9)
- rainy day activities (9)
- restaurants (38)
- risotto (6)
- shopping (23)
- spring (17)
- stresa (88)
- summer (61)
- tours (17)
- transportation (23)
- trivia (3)
- videos (8)
- walks (16)
- What people say... (3)
- wine (27)
- winter (41)